Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Digiscoped Sparrows & A Hawk

This year's fall migration is drawing to a close, and the last of the winter birds are trickling into upstate New York. It started with a few White-crowned sparrows, but before I knew it the White-throats and Juncos where here; yesterday I saw two American tree sparrows.

Winter is here.

On the bright side, that means we've got spring migration to look forward to in a few months...

White-Throated Sparrow
White-throated sparrow
Zonotrichia albicollis

White-crowned sparrow
White-crowned sparrow
Zonotrichia leucophrys

White-crowned Sparrow on Fence
White-crowned sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys

Cooper's Hawk - Baby Face
Cooper's Hawk (1st Years Male) Accipiter cooperii

I've taken advantage of this fall migration to practice my digiscoping, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digiscoping). I've got a pair of Bushnell Falcon binoculars 7x35, and a Fujifilm FinePix F20 6.3 megapixel digital camera... It's challenging, and sometimes very frustrating, but digiscoping is a great way to branch off from birding that really tests your patience and skill...

No comments: